Designing Voice User Interfaces
Principles of Conversational ExperienceseBook - 2016
Voice user interfaces (VUIs) are becoming all the rage today. But how do you build one that people can actually converse with? Whether you’re designing a mobile app, a toy, or a device such as a home assistant, this practical book guides you through basic VUI design principles, helps you choose the right speech recognition engine, and shows you how to measure your VUI’s performance and improve upon it.
Author Cathy Pearl also takes product managers, UX designers, and VUI designers into advanced design topics that will help make your VUI not just functional, but great.
- Understand key VUI design concepts, including command-and-control and conversational systems
- Decide if you should use an avatar or other visual representation with your VUI
- Explore speech recognition technology and its impact on your design
- Take your VUI above and beyond the basic exchange of information
- Learn practical ways to test your VUI application with users
- Monitor your app and learn how to quickly improve performance
- Get real-world examples of VUIs for home assistants, smartwatches, and car systems